Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots in windows 7

May 12th, 2009

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots in windows 7”.

48 Responses to “Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots in windows 7”

1. stella says:

hello,
    I have windows 7 and there is no snipping tool under the programs, neither any search would find it…
    help me please?

2. Genevive says:

Just go to START, and type in “Snipping” in the search bar that’s already there :D
    It should be the only result :D
    Hope I helped :D

3. Jo says:

Fantastic… I used Cropper on XP before I moved to Windows 7 and was hoping something like this would be available, I use it a lot. Great Tool.

4. Srini Kumar says:

It is NOWHERE on this new computer which has Windows 7. Please tell me where to download this as it’s essential.

5. norm says:

thanks for the info, I have win 7 pro, and this is great, love it. snip snip away

6. Adri says:

Hi Guys,

I was also looking for it…Couldn’t find it until I realized that my Dutch Windows 7 calls it “knipprogramma”!!! This tool name is translated for localized Windows….

7. Greg says:

The problem with snipping tool is you can’t capture a menu. For instance, trying to guide a person remotely and right clicked on a file. Want to capture the image with the resulting menu, but moving to click on snipping tool causes the menu to close. Any way around it?

8. andrefritz says:

hi guys, i wonder if there is any chance to record the screen as a sequence? … a simple screenshot can be done by ctrl+print. so nothing very special.

i need to record my screen in good quality for a tutorial. hd if possible.

thx for any help.

andre fritz

p.s. thx for comments like: use a mac and quicktime … i know… i know. dell-windos7-help needed.

9. Ganesh says:

Actually there is a way to capture menu using snipping tool.

1. Open snipping tool, if it is already open press New
    2. Press Esc. Now open the menu for example, right-click a file to open the right-click menu
    3. Press CTRL+PRINT SCREEN
    4. Voila use your mouse to snip the menu

10. Caleb Green says:

I’m pretty much impressed with the stability of Windows 7. It is better than windows Vista which hogs my memory and cpu.`.,

11. Ray says:

How do you print the snip when using the snip it tool???

12. Angry Windows 7 User says:

Windows 7 Starter is the dumbest operating system ever created!!!! Doesn’t have ANY good programs pre-installed like this snipping tool. WTF?! Micr$oft, I’m going back to Linux!

13. Opinions says:

I would prefer it there was a keyboard shortcut for this tool (like on a mac) but at least the functionality is there. But I do agree the “sniping tool” should NOT have to be looked up to be found. However helpful the search function is, it should be listed under the list of programs.

14. Luis says:

You cannot print from the Snip tool. Save the capture then open in Photo Viewer to print it.

15. Debra N-M says:

Hey-
    If you go to the Start button (I’m using Win7 Pro 64 bit) and put in the “snipping” search, the Snipping Program is brought up in the top of the Start window. Right click on the program name, select “send to Desktop” and it will automatically create a shortcut. You can then access it whenever you need it off your desktop.

16. Larry says:

When I use Snipping Tool for Window 7 the print quality is very faint. What is my problem? Printer checks out fine. Thanks, Larry

17. Allen says:

It would be nice to select a section of the snip and apply the highlight with straight borders. Would be nice to have a way to draw straight lines or boxes around an area. Would be nice to pick the highlight color. Have used the tool but am considering re-installing other freeware that has these features…Just tried “Greenshot” and I’m going to use it instead!

18. digitalman says:

I tried it but it won
    t capture my full screen. I also used many other progams but i can’t get the full screen. help!

19. Nancy says:

I want to snip a PDF page, not showing the tool bar, so it looks clean (it’s a newsletter). I know I can snip a rectangle around the page–but only if I size it to fit the page, which seems to affect the quality of the snip. Is there a way to keep the PDF large on the screen and snip a rectangle around it–capturing the balance of the PDF page that’s off-screen?

20. Don says:

Is there anyway to put the capture in the text portion of an email?

21. krx says:

just use print screen on windows 7 starter and crop it on paint…

22. Sarah says:

I couldn’t find the snipping tool using the search box under the Start Menu, so I tried searching under my C drive and I found it that way.

23. Gamnacke says:

If don’t find “snipping” it might the case that you are running a non-english version of win 7. In my swedish version it is called “Skärmklippverktyget”. Typing “skärm” in the start menu show do the trick.

24. Jpl says:

I too am having a problem “finding” the snippet tool. I don’t know how it disappeared or when, but typing snipping in the Start Search shows “0” results. I do like this to crop out what I don’t want in the window opened.
    Thanks!

25. STAR says:

WHY SNIPPING TOOL NOT EQUIPPED WITH A PRINT FUNCTION ???

26. Geo says:

When i see the problem users are having with a new operating system (OS) it makes me wonder why Microsoft change things for the worse? Read my lips Microsoft – I’m sticking to Win XP!

27. a says:

WTF Microsoft, such a simple little friggin program you’d think they’d make it available for download. How stupid, if you want this program and you’re running Windows 7 starter edition the only way you can get it is to reinstall a different edition of Windows 7. so guess what, I’m going to use snaggit instead because Microsoft is so stupid to not make it available for download.

28. Vanz says:

Hello,
    I don’t have snippint tool..I’m using win7 starter, how can I have it?

Thank you.

29. Vanz says:

Hello,
    I don’t have snipping tool..I’m using win7 starter, how can I have it?

Thank you.

30. Blake Wnorowski says:

I am looking to start my own blog, but I want to make sure it is on a popular site where people will read it. I plan on discussing sports, video games and whatever else is interesting at the time. What are the best/most popular sites to blog on?.

31. AHSAN BHATTI says:

Hi,
    Help me please? Thank you very much

32. Kirby Alexander says:

I have trouble with my microsoft windows 7 PC. It is possible to approach to automatic login to my user account if i pasword onto it?

I would appreciate any help!

33. Hrakrum says:

As always usefull info. I just started blogging but I hope that my blog will be as good as yours one day :)

34. Aude says:

This is pretty amazing to know. I was really wanting an ability to do this too, and never knew it was there the entire time.

35. a says:

ffdfdf ggdsgdhdgj dujddjdgd

36. justmeok says:

For those that cannot locate the snipping tool go to start –> all programs –> Accessories and that’s where I found it :) I right mouse clicked and pinned it to taskbar. Great little program just a pity you can’t change highlight colour!

37. Jake says:

i have windows 7 starter
    ! i had no choice. i had no idea that it had less programmes. this stinks. it was the cheapest laptop on the market! im getting a mac!

38. Bond says:

I hear that this will work with Win7 Starter: http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/

39. anshul says:

i m in a

40. […] use cmnd-ctrl-shift-4 and there are various solutions on Linux. In Windows you can easily use the snipping tool to crop any screenshot and just copy and paste it directly into […]

41. Lybilly says:

The snip-it tool could be useful if Microsoft would simply add a print function to the program. I can’t believe there is no way to print without pasting the image into a different application. You might as well just use alt+prntscrn

42. Lily says:

i searched snipping tool on my start, but it says no items match ur search. do i have to download snipping tool?

43. click here says:

Re: Whomever produced the remark that this was a great site really needs to possess their head examined.

44. blasebas says:

Si tenes un windows en español y no podes encontrarlo como snipping buscalo como RECORTES y ahi lo veras.

45. Sherry says:

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of
    time, there is an online tool that creates readable,
    google friendly articles in minutes, just search in google
    – laranitas free content source

46. Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up very fast!

What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

47. Great site you have got here.. It’s difficult to
    find excellent writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!