Local Group Policy Editor is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that you can use to edit local Group Policy objects (GPOs). Local Group Policy Editor and the Resultant Set of Policy snap-in are available in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise.
You can open the Local Group Policy Editor by using the command line or by using the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
To open the Local Group Policy Editor from the command line
- Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
To open the Local Group Policy Editor as an MMC snap-in
- Open MMC. (Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type mmc, and then press ENTER.)
- On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
- In the Add or Remove Snap-ins dialog box, click Group Policy Object Editor, and then click Add.
- In the Select Group Policy Object dialog box, click Browse.
- Click This computer to edit the Local Group Policy object, or click Users to edit Administrator, Non-Administrator, or per-user Local Group Policy objects.
- Click Finish.